Christian persecution is escalating worldwide and the level continues to rise in the predominantly Hindu country of India.
The Morning Star News has reported that Hindu extremists beat and looted Christ worshippers in northern India earlier this month, leaving one man unconscious, another with ruptured eardrums and others with internal and external injuries.
Just as service was about to begin, more than 200 members of the Hindu nationalist Vishva Hindu Parishad, and the youth wing of the Bharatiya Janata Party, invaded the House of Prayer church building in Roorkee, Uttarakhand state, brandishing wooden clubs and shouting Hindu nationalist slogans, witnesses told Morning Star News. A small group of around 12 had gathered for the service, including seven women and five men.
The Morning Star News reported that "the assailants were both male and female and beat everyone, including women," except for 65-year-old Prio Sadhana Portor, who took over as the worship service leader since the death last year of her husband, Dickens R. Lance, from COVID-19. The attackers accused the Christians of forced conversion, Portor said.
All sustained injuries, some of them serious, and the Hindu nationalists stole cash, debit cards, credit cards, cell phones and purses, besides breaking CCTV cameras, the sound system and other equipment, and chairs, she said. None of the attackers have been arrested.
"The moment they entered, they started to break the stuff inside the church and began to beat the congregation members," Portor said. "We were all set to stream the service online for our online viewers."
One worshipper, the Morning Star News reported, sustained an internal head injury when his head was thrust onto an electric circuit board inside the worship hall. A 20-year-old man, who wished to remain anonymous, said he was assaulted along with his older brother.
"Out of the mob, groups of about 20 Hindu extremists swarmed together and targeted each worshipper one by one, and everyone was hit without pity," the man said.
The Christian man whose eardrums were ruptured was robbed of 10,000 rupees ($133 U.S. dollars), his driver's license, his bank cards and his personal security information, witnesses said.
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details