After anti-government protests broke out Sunday in Cuba calling for the disbandment of the country's communist dictatorship, President Joe Biden released a statement Monday saying the United States would "stand with the Cuban people and their clarion call for freedom."
"[We will support the Cuban people for] relief from the tragic grip of the pandemic and the decades of repression and economic suffering to which they have been subjected by Cuba's authoritarian regime," Biden said in the statement.
"The Cuban people are bravely asserting fundamental and universal rights. Those rights, including the right of peaceful protest and the right to freely determine their own future, must be respected. The United States calls on the Cuban regime to hear their people and serve their needs at this vital moment rather than enriching themselves," Biden continued.
Fox News reported that "thousands of Cubans marched on the Malecon promenade in the capital of Havana as well as in other cities to protest food shortage, high prices and the coronavirus outbreak in one of the biggest anti-government demonstrations in the country ever.
Although Biden has spoken out against the communist regime, Fox News reported that some of America's self-professed "Democratic socialists," including Bernie Sanders, Reps. Ihlan Omar, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Rashida Tlaib, have been silent on the subject. None of them, as of mid-Monday, had responded to the Cuban protests.
Conservative Florida Sen. Marcio Rubio, however, sent this message out on Twitter:
Expect the regime in #Cuba to block internet & cell phone service soon to prevent videos about what is happening to get out to the world.— Marco Rubio (@marcorubio) July 11, 2021
"Expect the regime in #Cuba to block Internet and cell phone service to soon prevent videos about what is happening to get out to the world."
Rep. Willie J. Montague said on Twitter he also supports the Cuban people's plight.
There are thousands in Cuba DEMANDING their freedoms from the demonic grips of communism; let's stand with them pic.twitter.com/ReThZM4hxT— Dr. Willie J. Montague (@RepMontague) July 12, 2021
"There are thousands in Cuba DEMANDING their freedoms from the demonic grips of communism; let's stand with them," Montague said.
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details