More than 1,500 people have signed an open letter calling on Northern Ireland's politicians to protect Down's syndrome babies from being aborted.
Signatories are either those who have Down's syndrome or are related to someone who does. They believe the law on abortion in the province is discriminatory and must be changed.
They are asking Stormont to vote in favor of Paul Givan's Severe Fetal Impairment Abortion (Amendment) Bill at its second reading. The bill would change the law to ban abortion on the grounds of conditions such as Down's syndrome—currently permitted up to birth.
Lynn Murray, spokeswoman for the Don't Screen Us Out campaign, said: "Already, over 1,500 people with Down's syndrome and their families have called on NI party leaders to support this bill.
"It's clear that there is strong support from the Down's syndrome community for a change in the law.
"We call on politicians from across the political spectrum to support this bill and show the way forward for other countries."
Sara McNeill, whose son has the condition, said, "Tom is the best thing about our lives and has brought so much happiness to our whole family connection.
"So I would urge any parent faced with the decision of what to do, not to be blinded by poor, outdated preconceptions of what Down's syndrome is.
"I thought our outlook seemed bleak when our doctor first shared her suspicions about our brand new baby, but now I know better."
Another mother of a child with Down's syndrome, Lisa Allen, said, "When Aaron was 4 weeks old we were told he would need surgery on his heart at 6 months old. He has 3 holes in his heart."
Lisa continued: "Aaron was sent home with a feeding tube and meds and we were told to prepare for his surgery at 6 months old. Nearly 6 years later and he is amazing his consultants and has still avoided surgery.
"Aaron is a loveable, strong and determined little boy. To think that now a baby like Aaron could have his life ended because of Down's syndrome breaks my heart. He has shown that he is strong, able and determined from day one."
Follow breaking news like this and more in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details