Stephen Lungu, a well-known evangelist and retired CEO of African Enterprise, died Jan. 18 in Malawi in southeastern Africa from COVID-19 complications. He was 78.
The announcement of Lungu's death appeared on the AE website. The statement noted that the evangelist had diabetes for several years and was not able to fight off the virus.
"We all prayed. However, it has pleased the Lord to rest him," Stephen Mbogo, who succeeded Lungu as AE's international CEO in 2014, said in a tribute. Mbogo also cited Psalm 116:15 (NIV): "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his faithful servants."
Known as "the Billy Graham of Africa," Lungu grew up in a dysfunctional family in Zimbabwe, living on the streets and becoming involved in street gangs. In his testimony given several years later, Lungu recalled as a teenager leading his gang to throw "petrol bombs" into an evangelistic tent meeting in the city of Harare. Instead of initiating the attack, he said he ended up going forward to give his life to Christ as the words of the preacher touched his heart.
He was uneducated and illiterate, but Patrick Johnstone, a British missionary and author of the prayer guide, Operation World, became his mentor.
According to AE, over the years Lungu became a powerful evangelist, first working with the Dorothea Mission and then with African Enterprise.
"Few people had a greater passion for Christ or shared the Gospel more powerfully than Stephen Lungu," the AE website noted.
"To be sure, there will be thousands and thousands of people in heaven because of Stephen Lungu," said Michael Cassidy, honorary chairman of the Lausanne Movement for World Evangelization, who founded AE in 1961 while a student at Fuller Seminary.
"I have known many preachers over the years in African Enterprise, and beyond it, but I don't think I have ever known a more passionate and endlessly energetic preacher of the Gospel than Stephen," the South African evangelist told AE. "None of us could ever match his energy or his day and night sharing of the Gospel, whether from public platforms or in shops and restaurants."
Reprinted with permission from cbn.com. Copyright The Christian Broadcasting Network Inc. All rights reserved.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details