A church leader from South Korea was stabbed to death on Friday, Nov. 22, 2019, in Southeast Turkey.
Christian Solidarity Worldwide (CSW) reports Pastor Jinwook Kim had been living in Turkey for the last five years, and moved to Diyarbakir city last year, where he led a small congregation.
CSW said a 16-year-old male has been arrested in connection with Pastor Kim's murder. The motive for the killing is thought to have been robbery, as the pastor's telephone was missing. However, several local sources have suggested he was targeted because of his faith. Pastor Kim's pregnant wife is due to give birth in the next few days; they also have a 4-year-old son.
The situation for Turkey's small Christian community has become increasingly precarious, particularly following the foiled coup of 2016. Recent years have seen an increase in animosity, hate speech and anti-Christian sentiments. In October 2019, billboards encouraging Muslims not to befriend Jews and Christians were erected in the conservative city of Konya, sparking outrage and condemnation by rights groups both inside and outside Turkey.
For several in the Christian community, the murder of Pastor Kim is uncomfortably reminiscent of the 2007 torture murders of three Christians at the Zirve publishing house in the city of Malatya by five young men, who were apprehended as they fled the scene of the crime. All five eventually received three aggravated life sentences each for premeditated murder in 2016.
CSW's chief executive, Mervyn Thomas, said: "We extend our heartfelt condolences to the family, congregation and loved ones of Pastor Kim. We urge the Turkish government to fully investigate this murder and hold those found to have been involved in it accountable.
"The government must also crack down on hate speech targeting Christians and other religious minorities, as it facilitates an atmosphere in which these communities are at increased risk. We call on the international community to press the Turkish government to end all forms of discrimination against religious minorities and respect its constitutional obligations to protect and respect the rights of all citizens regardless of their religious affiliation or ethnic background."
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Incredible Savings, Inspiration and Encouragement from CHARISMA:
- End Of The Year - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
- Big Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
- FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Women Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.