BBC's Songs of Praise has alienated its viewers after it featured a same-sex wedding in this week's program.
Jamie Wallace and Ian McDowell married at Rutherglen United Reformed Church near Glasgow—one of the few denominations to have accepted the redefinition of marriage.
While presenter Kate Bottley described the URC decision as "momentous", viewers were disappointed by the one-sided presentation of same-sex marriage on a Christian program.
The couple were able to speak without challenge on the program, with Mr. Wallace justifying his stance by saying: "Jesus preaches about love and inclusion, kindness, compassion."
Commenting on Twitter, one viewer said: "Your coverage of the same-sex wedding, was very weak and one sided, no verbal challenge or biblical view of this issue."
Another tweeted: "This can't be serious, a gay wedding on songs of praise. Don't you read the Bible, or do you rip out the pages that may upset your lifestyle. Making a mockery of the church and on national tv."
The Christian Institute's Director Colin Hart said: "It is deeply offensive to see same-sex marriage celebrated in such a way on what is supposed to be a Christian devotional program.
"Those connected to the program are boasting that they are 'not afraid of controversy.' In fact, they seem to delight in it.
"But for many who are housebound and unable to get to church, Songs of Praise has been one of the few sources of orthodox Christian worship they may have had access to.
"By featuring a same-sex ceremony, and for presenting those who may disagree as wrong-thinking, Songs of Praise has alienated this core audience."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details