The Billy Graham Evangelistic Association will hold a World Summit in Defense of Persecuted Christians in Washington, D.C., on May 10-13, 2017.
Hundreds of evangelical leaders from about 100 countries will come together to talk about the mass persecution of Christians in the Middle East, Africa and other regions of the world.
"It seems that every week we learn of another example from a part of the globe that shows how critically we need to have this World Summit in Defense of Persecuted Christians," Franklin Graham said Tuesday in a post on his Facebook page.
Rev. Viktor Hamm, Vice President of Crusade Ministries with the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association (BGEA) said this summit will allow the ministry "to support those who are persecuted [and] call the attention of the world to the fact of persecution."
"If one part of the body suffers, everyone suffers, and we are responsible for our brothers and sisters," Hamm said. "And [Christians] should have taken that responsibility years ago."
Christians in more than 60 countries face persecution from their governments or surrounding neighbors simply because of their belief in Jesus Christ, according to the United States Department of State. This abuse can include beatings, physical torture, imprisonment, severe punishment, isolation, rape and even death.
These types of attacks on such a large scale are unprecedented in modern history, as noted by Franklin Graham, who said 2015 was "just reported in the media as the worst year for Christian persecution."
He added that "more than twice as many Christians were killed for their faith than in the previous year—making it the worst in history since these statistics have been tracked."
About 150 persecuted Christians are expected to attend the summit and many will share their stories during breakout sessions.
Among other features, the summit will include a gallery of faith showing the history of persecution in pictures. In addition, there will be a large arch with screens scrolling the names of thousands of Christian martyrs, "a living reminder of our heritage of the church," Hamm said.
"The World Summit in Defense of Persecuted Christians will shed a global spotlight on this crisis," Franklin Graham said. "We will bring delegates from around the world and will be able to join hands with people of other churches and denominations of the Christian faith to pray for our brothers and sisters in Christ and to hear firsthand reports of the suffering that is taking place.
"Will you pray with us for this historic summit?"
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details