A church that ended a yoga class' use of its hall because the activity's roots are "incompatible with the Christian faith" has received support from its diocese.
St. Michael and All Angels' Church made the decision last year.
Church council members informed yoga instructor Naomi Hayama that they were no longer allowing groups linked to "alternative spiritualities" to use their facilities.
A spokeswoman for the Diocese of Bristol said they support the church's stance, as decisions on leasing buildings lie with the relevant parochial church council.
A statement from the church said: "The primary purpose of these buildings is the worship of God as revealed in the person of Jesus Christ.
"Yoga means the union of 'mind, body and spirit.' By definition, therefore, yoga is a spiritual activity whose roots are not Christ-centered.
Agreed Notice Period
"We are confident we have acted legally and have waived the last nine months of Naomi's fees, amounting to nearly £1,000."
The statement also said that in December last year, Hayama told them she agreed to the notice period given.
The church's leader Rev. James Stevenson said, "Every church leader I've spoken to completely understands this decision."
The Christian Institute has spoken out in support of the right of St. Michael and All Angels' Church to give notice to the group.
It also noted that this is not the first incident of this kind.
A spokesman said: "Churches are well within their rights to stop groups using their facilities if they run contrary to the church's beliefs.
Principles and Policies
"In 2007 when two Somerset churches refused to hold yoga classes in their buildings, even a national Hindu group accepted that churches must be allowed to stick by their principles and policies.
"We commend this church for using its freedom to say no to this class, and for basing its decision on biblical teaching."
Hayama held semiweekly yoga classes for around 30 people in the church building for nine years.
She has now started a petition to put pressure on the church to change its decision.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details