Twelve years ago the genocide in Rwanda led to the deaths of more than 1 million Hutus and Tutsis in a three-month period.
Today the African nation is still reeling from the devastation, and poverty is abundant. But an Anglican priest is working to help his homeland find healing through his REACH-Rwanda ministry¸ an acronym for Reconciliation, Evangelism and Christian Healing.
Since 1997 Philbert Kalisa, who lost many of his family members in the genocide, has been leading a three-day seminar that teaches peace building, trauma healing and community development. After nine years of ministry, REACH has seen more than 1,300 Rwandans and 250 leaders complete the program and dozens of families restored.
“Reconciliation requires that we are committed to setting all people free spiritually, emotionally, psychologically, socially and physically,” Kalisa said. Agnes Mukagasana, 44, can attest to that freedom. Her husband and six children were killed in the genocide. But after attending the REACH seminars she says she can finally forgive.
“I forgive everyone who killed my family,” she said. “I forgive those who raped me and my daughter. I even forgive myself, and may God forgive me because I now realize that living with hate and anger damages me more and I have to forgive in order to be forgiven too.”
She now visits prisons where those convicted of crimes during the genocide are held, telling the inmates she forgives them and bringing them food.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details