Israel has a small beef with one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
The Israeli government wrote Apple a letter asking the iPhone maker to take down a mobile app called "The Third Intifada" from its App Store.
Yuli Edelstein, Israel's Minister for Public Diplomacy and Diaspora Affairs, wrote the letter to Apple on Tuesday to express his concern.
"Upon review of the stories, articles and photos published by means of the application, one can easily see that this is in fact anti-Israel and anti-Zionist. Furthermore, as is implied by its name, the application calls for an uprising against the State of Israel," Edelstein wrote. "I am convinced that you are aware of this type of application's ability to unite many toward an objective that could be disastrous."
Edelstein wants Apple to pull The Third Intifada. Written in Arabic, Reuters reports that the app offers users a stream of news stories and editorials in Arabic, announces upcoming protests, and includes links to nationalistic Palestinian videos and songs.
The Simon Wiesenthal Center is also urging Apple to pull the app. In addition, the app developer was behind the "Third Intifada" Facebook page, which was promptly taken down following protests from the Wiesenthal Center, among others, to Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg.
"Dissent, dialogue yes, but the leading new media and technology companies should not be facilitating entities with a track record of promoting incitement and violence," says Rabbi Abraham Cooper, associate dean of the Wiesenthal Center.
According to Apple's guidelines, applications "containing references or commentary about a religious, cultural or ethnic group that are defamatory, offensive, mean-spirited or likely to expose the targeted group to harm or violence will be rejected." "Therefore," Cooper concludes, "we urge Apple to do the right thing and de-link 'The Third Intifada' from its network."
Apple was not immediately available for comment.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details