A federal judge ruled against the Biden administration on Thursday and said Texas' controversial heartbeat abortion law can remain in effect while the Justice Department pursues its lawsuit against the state.
The tough abortion law was first struck down last week by a federal district judge, only to be reinstated within two days by a panel from the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals.
The 2-1 decision on Thursday marks the third time the conservative-leaning 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has sided with Texas' request to keep the law in place while litigation continues. The panel also agreed to hear oral arguments in the Justice Department's lawsuit against the lone star state. Oral arguments have yet to be scheduled and it could be months before they take place.
The Justice Department can now ask for an emergency appeal from the Supreme Court to overturn the circuit court's ruling.
Planned Parenthood denounced the decision.
"Yet again, the Fifth Circuit has shown that it is unwilling to take action to stop the immense harm Texans are facing or to protect Texans' constitutional right to abortion," Helene Krasnoff, vice president for public policy litigation and law for the Planned Parenthood Federation of America said in a statement. "The Fifth Circuit is now complicit in the scheme of S.B. 8 to deprive Texans access to abortion."
Reprinted with permission from CBN.com. Copyright The Christian Broadcasting Network, Inc., All rights reserved.
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details