A federal judge on Wednesday ordered Texas to temporarily suspend its new "heartbeat" abortion law, which bans the procedure at around six weeks of pregnancy.
US District Judge Robert Pitman issued a preliminary injunction blocking the measure known as Senate Bill 8, and accused Texas of pursuing "an unprecedented and aggressive scheme to deprive its citizens of a significant and well-established constitutional right."
In his 113-opinion Pitman specifically took issue with the way the law is enforced, which relies solely on private citizens. According to the measure, citizens can sue abortion providers who violate it and collect $10,000 in damages.
The law went into effect on Sept. 1 and bans abortions once an embryo's heartbeat is detected, which is before some women even know they are pregnant.
Pitman's ruling forbids state judges and clerks from accepting lawsuits against those who violate the law. The state of Texas quickly filed a notice of appeal and will most likely seek an emergency stay of Pitman's order.
The Texas Right to Life organization said it wasn't surprised by the ruling.
"This is the legacy of Roe v. Wade: Judges catering to the abortion industry, crafting a conclusion first and then searching the depths of legal literature for a rationale later," the group said in a tweet.
"Any abortions that are committed after September 1, 2021 — there is a four-year statute of limitations that somebody can retroactively sue for those abortions — so we are going to be vigilant," Right to Life spokesman Kim Schwartz told the Texas Tribune.
Pro-choice advocates applauded the decision. However, it is unclear if abortion clinics will resume the procedure out of fear they will face litigation if the law is reinstated.
For the rest of this article, visit our content partners at cbnnews.com.
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details