An advisory board for the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has overwhelmingly rejected a plan to offer Pfizer booster shots against COVID-19 to most Americans.
The panel voted 16-2 against distributing booster shots to people ages 16 and older.
During discussion, some panel members noted booster shots might be helpful to older, immunocompromised populations but argued there's little evidence to suggest the same for younger people. Additionally, there are looming concerns over the potential increased risk of heart inflammation among the vaccinated, particularly for younger males.
The committee was tasked with determining whether the data from Pfizer's clinical trial supported approval of the pharmaceutical brand's booster dose for people ages 16 years and older, according to Fox News.
While there is some research to suggest immunity levels in vaccinated people does decline with time—a trend boosters could potentially reverse—the Pfizer inoculation nevertheless remains highly protective against severe illness, hospitalization, or death.
FDA advisers heard Friday from Pfizer and health officials from Israel, which has been offering booster shots to its citizens since July.
Sharon Alroy-Preis, director of public health services for Israel, claimed the third shot improves protection against infection for people ages 60 years and older.
"It's like a fresh vaccine," she said, according to the Associated Press, noting the shots have helped the Jewish state "dampen severe cases in the fourth wave."
Several doctors on the panel, however, noted concerns about myocarditis. Dr. Paul Offitt, a vaccine expert with the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, said he would "really have trouble" supporting booster shots for everyone over 16 years old.
Follow breaking news like this on our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details