Now that Texas has enacted the only heartbeat law in the country, other states may jump at the opportunity to pass similar pro-life laws.
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said Thursday he might support enacting such a law that the U.S. Supreme Court allowed to take effect.
DeSantis told reporters that he wants to pass stronger laws against abortion, but he doesn't know enough about the Texas ban to definitively say he would support a similar bill in Florida.
"What they did in Texas was interesting and I haven't really been able to look enough into it," DeSantis said at a West Palm Beach news conference when asked about the Texas law. "I am going to look more significantly at it."
Late Wednesday, the high court by a 5-4 vote denied an emergency appeal from abortion providers and others that sought to block the law's enforcement. The court said it was not ruling on the law's constitutionality or blocking further challenges.
Florida legislative leaders said they were already preparing pro-life bills for the next session, which begins in January, and that includes a fetal heartbeat bill.
"When the Supreme Court goes out and makes a decision like this, it clearly is going to send a signal to all the states that are interested in banning abortions or making it more restrictive to have an abortion in their state," Florida Senate President Wilton Simpson told WFLA-TV. It's certainly going to make us take a look at those issues."
But Florida's Senate Democratic leader Lauren Book said her party would fight any such measures even though Democrats are the minority in both statehouses.
Book, who has publicly discussed surviving sexual abuse as a child, said in a statement that any bill emulating the Texas ban "would send a clear message to me, and to other survivors of sexual assault, that we do not matter."
As CBN News reported in July, Mississippi's Republican attorney general argued in papers submitted to the U.S. Supreme Court that the high court should overturn its landmark 1973 ruling that legalized abortion nationwide and allow states to decide whether to regulate abortion.
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details