Utah Gov. Spencer Cox (R) recently pushed back against the directive from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, urging Americans—including those fully vaccinated against COVID-19—to return to wearing masks as the so-called delta variant spreads.
Cox made clear Tuesday, though, he has no plans to require Utahans to start wearing masks all over again. The governor's decision isn't because he's not concerned about the spread of COVID-19. Rather, he said, it's because he's "tired" of having to sacrifice for those who have chosen not to get vaccinated against the virus for any number of reasons.
While speaking to reporters, Cox said the CDC "is asking all of you who are vaccinated to take one for the team once again to protect people who are not vaccinated but had the opportunity to do so."
"I'm guessing that the Venn Diagram of people who are unvaccinated and willing to wear a mask is very slim, if at all," Cox said. "So I'm grateful that there are people who are willing to sacrifice and wear a mask again to protect the unvaccinated."
"I got to be honest with you," he continued. "I don't know if I'm one of those people. I'm really tired. I'm really done with it, and I'm not excited to sacrifice to protect someone who doesn't seem to care. But I'm glad there are some people out there who are."
As of Aug. 1, 44% of Utahans have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19, and 52% of the population has received at least one dose of a vaccine.
Half of the U.S. population is fully vaccinated against the virus and 58% of the country has received at least one dose of a two-shot inoculation.
Cox previously told Utah residents—a great deal of whom are Mormon—to listen to Russell M. Nelson, the head of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He received the first dose of a vaccine in mid-January.
The 96-year-old Nelson, who was a medical doctor by trade, described the vaccination as "a literal godsend," saying he took the shot "with approval" from his and his wife's physician.
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details