Here's a quick summary of the top stories featured on charismanews.com:
Jason Meyer, successor to famed evangelical pastor and bestselling author John Piper, resigned from Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota, Sunday amid allegations of what is termed as "abusive behavior" and a toxic culture among the church leadership. Piper retired in 2011 after 30 years in the pulpit to focus on other aspects of his Desiring God ministry.
"Meyer is part of a growing exodus of leaders and members leaving Bethlehem, a church with some 4,500 members on three campus which is seen as a flagship church in Converge, formerly the Baptist General Conference," reports Ministry Watch. Although Meyer offered no public reason for his resignation, another former Bethlehem pastor, Bryan Pickering, told ministry watchdog Julie Roys that the church culture was "domineering, bullying" and responsible for "damaging behavior."
You've heard it. You've probably sung it. You may even know all the words.
But you've never heard it like this.
MercyMe brought its smash hit, "I Can Only Imagine," in which songwriter and lead singer Bart Millard imagines traveling to heaven and meeting Jesus face to face, to the stage of the Grand Ole Opry earlier this month for its first live performance in more than a year.
Despite previous vows to work together, the divide between the Republican and Democratic Parties continues to widen on Capitol Hill, revealed in recent events concerning the Jan. 6 investigation committee. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., blocked two of GOP Leader Kevin McCarthy's appointments from the committee, and McCarthy, R-Calif., has now countered by boycotting the committee, pulling his three remaining Republican picks from the investigatory panel and vowing to "run our own investigation."
In a Wednesday statement, Pelosi stated her decision to reject McCarthy's recommendations of Reps. Jim Banks, Ind., and Jim Jordan, Ohio, both avowed supporters of former President Donald Trump, as committee members. "With respect for the integrity of the investigation, with an insistence on the truth and with concern about statements made and actions taken by these Members, I must reject the recommendations of Representatives Banks and Jordan to the Select Committee," she wrote, closing with "The unprecedented nature of January 6th demands this unprecedented decision."
McCarthy struck back, immediately withdrawing the remaining three Republicans from what Pelosi had termed a bipartisan panel. "This is a sham committee that's just politically driven by Speaker Pelosi," McCarthy said per Fox News.
Follow breaking news like this and more in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details