A crowd of nearly 500 parents, school board members and concerned citizens gathered Thursday evening in Russell County, Virginia for a public hearing to denounce a new policy concerning transgender students.
The school board took a 7-0 vote rejecting the transgender model policy passed down by the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE), according to The Family Foundation.
Under the new policy, transgender students would be allowed to use a name or gender that relates to their preferred gender identity. They would also have access to restrooms and locker rooms that match their gender identity.
Board members emphasized that they are committed to protecting all students and that they believe the school district does comply with federal anti-discrimination laws.
"School boards have a primary ethical and legal duty to protect and respect the privacy, safety, and conscience of every child within the school setting, as well as the fundamental constitutionally-guaranteed rights of parents, teachers, and staff," said Josh Hetzler, legal counsel for Founding Freedoms Law Center.
Dr. Todd Gathje, Family Foundation's director of government relations also stated that "at the end of the day, regardless of what the VDOE provides as guidance, school boards have a primary duty to protect the safety and security of the students under their care" and to safeguard the "ability of parents to protect their children and not have their parental rights violated."
The board also voted against critical race theory being taught in schools.
For the rest of the story from our content partners at CBN News, visit cbnnews.com.
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details