The Pentagon confirmed in a June 4 press briefing it will not allow the gay pride flag to wave at military facilities during Pride Month.
Current policy states only flags representing states and U.S. territories, military services, prisoners of war and missing in action and national flags of U.S. allies are allowed to fly over Department of Defense installations.
The Trump administration put into effect a policy that limits the flags to those listed in July 2020 when the Confederate flag was barred from being flown, though the policy does not specifically reference it.
Of this decision, Pentagon spokesperson John Kirby said after "careful consideration," the department officials chose not to make an exception, as it would open the door to discussion on flying additional non-military related flags in the future.
Kirby outlined two details taken into consideration when the pride flag came under unofficial review in the department.
"This in no way reflects any lack of respect or admiration for people of the LGBTQ+ community, personnel in and out of uniform who serve in this department. We're proud of them," Kirby said. "I mentioned that on Monday the secretary's pride and respect and admiration for the service that they render to their country.
"This was really more about the potential for, an exception in this case, about the potential for other challenges that could arise from that exception ... and it was really about that than anything else," he continued. "It's certainly not a statement of anything other than that fact—full respect and admiration for that service."
This announcement comes on the heels of President Biden's formal acknowledgement of June as the official "LGBTQ Pride Month."
"This Pride Month, we recognize the valuable contributions of LGBTQ+ individuals across America," Biden wrote. "And we reaffirm our commitment to standing in solidarity with LGBTQ+ Americans in their ongoing struggle against discrimination and injustice."
Biden continued, referencing the "historic actions" his administration has taken since his time in office to "deliver full equality for LGBTQ+ families."
Follow breaking news like this and more in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details