The Senate narrowly confirmed Xavier Becerra, President Biden's pick for health and human services secretary, today with 50 Democrats in favor and 49 Republicans opposed.
Becerra, former attorney general for the state of California and Democratic U.S. Representative, is well-known in pro-life communities and beyond for the expansion of his pro-abortion policies and persecution of pro-life groups and individuals. During his time in Congress, he earned a 100% rating from abortion lobbyists such as Planned Parenthood and NARAL Pro-Choice America for his support of partial-birth abortion and opposition to criminalizing pain caused to an unborn child during the commission of another crime. As a result, his nomination is one of Biden's most controversial to date.
Reactions to Becerra's confirmation are diametrically opposed.
U.S. Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell tweeted:
The Administration claims their top priority is to beat this virus and end the pandemic. But their nominee to run @HHSGov is woefully unqualified. California AG Xavier Becerra is a partisan politician with no expertise in healthcare.— Leader McConnell (@LeaderMcConnell) March 18, 2021
Likewise, Senator Ted Cruz highlights the lack of experience on which the very nature of the position is founded:
Xavier Becerra has:— Senator Ted Cruz (@SenTedCruz) March 17, 2021
✖️No health care experience.
✖️No medical experience.
✖️No scientific experience.
If nominations were based on the qualifications, Becerra would be rejected by the Senate by a vote of 100 to nothing. pic.twitter.com/aJ5qdc5vlr
But embattled Gov. Gavin Newsom of California offers his congratulations and support:
Congratulations to my friend, @XavierBecerra on this historic appointment!— Gavin Newsom (@GavinNewsom) March 18, 2021
You've spent your entire career fighting for justice— & the last 4 defending the #ACA.
Now you'll help lead our nation toward quality, affordable healthcare for all as we build back better from #COVID19. https://t.co/q4F4kvQIyr
Planned Parenthood Affiliates of California, which Becerra has long supported, agreed, saying:
Planned Parenthood is excited to congratulate CA's very own AG @XavierBecerra as the next HHS Secretary. Across his decades of public service, Becerra has been a staunch champion in his work to protect health care access, gender equality, and racial equity. pic.twitter.com/6HkrwI73tn— Planned Parenthood Affiliates of California (@PPActionCA) March 18, 2021
This is the 20th confirmation of Biden's 23 Cabinet picks.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details