As has happened in previous generations, the Christian church is seeing a drift toward the left. And that troubles pastor, author and cultural commentator Lucas Miles. It troubles him enough, in fact, that he has a burden to let people know about it through any means he can.
"When we look at the Christian Left, it's important that we recognize and really start discerning the difference between those who have become vehement leftists within the church, or who are sort of ringleaders of this progressive introduction to the church, and those who are maybe just caught in some sort of doctrinal drift kind of unknowingly," Miles says. "I think there are different responses to each of these people."
Miles says leftist concepts are even present in the Bible. "Scripturally speaking, progressive ideology goes way back. We could argue Adam was the first leftist, and when he sinned, he blamed God, and he blamed his wife. And then we see examples in the Tower of Babel of this socialist construct that was being billed as sort of a rebellious act against God."
Miles says the Christian Left has done something dangerous: "They've really exchanged what we know is the Father, Son and Holy Spirit for this Marxist trinity of diversity, inclusion and social justice. And they've embraced these concepts. ... It's misplaced priorities. They've elevated these things over the gospel, over Scripture, over the lordship of Jesus."
He adds that the Christian Left's desire to help people is admirable, but "they put the now above the eternal, and that is one of the greatest misconceptions that we can have as believers."
What it often boils down to, Miles says, is a misunderstanding of the definition of love. "Love is not agreement. Love is not accepting somebody else's ideas. You know, love as defined by Scripture is grace and truth. Jesus came in grace and truth.
"And so it's not just about giving grace or accepting people; we have a misunderstanding of this word 'grace,'" Miles says. "It's also about offering truth. You know, if I really love someone, I can love them where they are. But I also will work to find opportunities to share truth in their life to help them get to the place that God has called them to be."
To hear more of Miles' thoughts on the dangers of the Christian Left and how it has infiltrated the church, listen to this entire episode of the Strang Report podcast here. Be sure to subscribe to the Strang Report podcast on Apple Podcasts or your favorite podcast platform, and share this article and podcast with friends and family who may not realize how the church is drifting toward the ideas Miles warns us about. And check out his upcoming book, The Christian Left: How Liberal Thought Has Hijacked the Church (Broadstreet), releasing in May.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details