A court in Wisconsin ruled this week officials with the Madison Metropolitan School District cannot intentionally hide from parents information regarding their children's chosen gender identities in schools.
Remington's decision comes months after a lawsuit was filed by the Wisconsin Institute for Law and Liberty (WILL) and the Alliance Defending Freedom on behalf of an anonymous group of parents whose children are enrolled in MMSD schools.
WILL argued at the time such an informal guidance—while not an officially adopted district policy—encourages employees to actively "deceive" parents about their children's gender-based decisions.
The memo, "Guidance and Policies to Support Transgender, Non-binary and Gender-Expansive Students," is a violation of parental rights as well as religious liberty rights, according to the plaintiffs.
In his decision to issue a temporary injunction, Remington made clear his ruling is not holistic. His injunction "does not create an affirmative obligation to disclose information if that obligation does not already exist at law." Rather, it requires MMSD faculty and staff members to disclose information about students' gender identities if parents raise the matter.
Luke Berg, deputy counsel for WILL, described Remington's decision as "an important win for parental rights."
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Incredible Savings, Inspiration and Encouragement from CHARISMA:
- End Of The Year - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
- Big Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
- FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Women Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.