Amy Coney Barrett, a judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit, is on President Donald Trump's shortlist of potential nominees to fill the vacancy at the Supreme Court following Associate Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's death last Friday.
This is not the first time Barrett has been in the spotlight for the high court. She was a strong contender for the opening that went to Brett Kavanaugh in 2018. At the time, Trump told confidants he was "saving" Barrett for Ginsburg's seat.
As Axios reported in 2019, Barrett became a favorite among conservatives for a couple of reasons. One, she's relatively young and is a devout Catholic. Two, her past academic record of legal writings suggest an openness to overturning Roe v. Wade.
For those reasons, she's also become a target of the left. Article 6 of the United States Constitution forbids religious tests for government service: "No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States."
But Barrett's faith has already come under fire in previous confirmation hearings, and Sen. Maisie Hirono, D-Hawaii, says she plans to zero in even more forcefully on Barrett's Christian beliefs if Trump picks her.
Family and Faith
Barrett is a mother of seven children. At just 48 years old, Barrett holds promise for a potential decades-long term on the bench. She once clerked for Justice Antonin Scalia, taught law at Notre Dame and has reported conservative views about protecting religious freedom.
As to her faith, Barrett is a part of the charismatic renewal movement within the Catholic Church and participates in a "covenant community" called People of Praise. The organization is not a formal Catholic organization. It has no canonical standing.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details