In probably one of the most ironic moments of this year, members of the Minneapolis City Council asked the city's police chief how his department was responding to the city's rise in violent crime just months after the council led an effort to defund the police department.
MPR News reports even though the two-hour session was to study police reform, council members told police Chief Medaria Arradondo that their constituents were reporting street racing, brazen daylight carjackings, robberies, assaults and shootings. Then they asked Arradondo what the department is doing about it.
"Residents are asking, 'Where are the police?'" said Jamal Osman, newly elected council member of Ward 6. He said he's already been inundated with complaints from residents that calls for police aren't being answered.
"That is the only public safety option they have at the moment: MPD [Minneapolis Police Department]. They rely on MPD. And they are saying they are nowhere to be seen," Osman said.
The number of reported violent crimes, like assaults, robberies and homicides, is up compared to 2019, according to MPD crime data. More people have been killed in the city in the first nine months of 2020 than were slain in all of last year. Property crimes, like burglaries and auto thefts, are also up. Incidents of arson have increased 55% over the total at this point in 2019, according to MPR News.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details