Former President Barack Obama chose to turn Thursday's four-hour funeral service for Congressman John Lewis into a political moment yesterday when he launched into a tirade against what he called "the attacks on democracy" our country is experiencing. But Alveda King, pro-life activist and niece of Martin Luther King, said in an interview on Fox & Friends that Obama's words reveal how the Left will "grab at any opportunity" to push its agenda forward.
"I've chosen not to politicize the death of Congressman Lewis but to remember him as a peaceful nonviolent warrior and encourage everyone to resolve our conflicts peacefully," King said, referring to Obama's comments about topics ranging from the Voting Rights Act to granting statehood to the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico to nationwide civil unrest.
"President Obama, with word play, took us back to the 1960s. And that was a time when segregation was still on the books, segregation was still legal, and those in power, some of them, were trying to enforce that and keep that," King said."Today, when the National Guard goes in, sent by the president, for example, or the state troopers, they're trying to protect the people of America in every community and to save lives and protect people. There is a totally distinct difference."
King also rebuked Obama for his "clever" words that implied an attempt by President Donald Trump to undermine the voting process. "Actually, President Trump is saying, 'People, please pay attention. We do want you to vote. Use your absentee ballots. Go to the polls. ... President Trump is not trying to suppress the vote."
"We do want people to vote safely, and we need the voting process to be fair," King said. "And so to politicize the funeral of a peaceful warrior—I guess they grabbed at an opportunity to be political."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details