A plurality of Americans—46%—believe so-called "cancel culture" has gone too far in its influence on society, according to a new survey.
The Morning Consult/Politico poll found that only 18% of 1,991 respondents surveyed between July 17-19 "approve of cancel culture," which is synonymous with culturally sanctioned group shaming. By contrast, 82% of those surveyed disapproved of the phenomenon.
Among Christians, 28% "strongly" or "somewhat" approve of cancel culture. Fifty-one percent of Christians "somewhat" or "strongly" disapprove of the practice.
One of the most telling things about the survey, as pointed out by Forbes' Andrew Solender, is the fact that only 33% of respondents expressed a strong opinion about cancel culture in one way or the other. And 24% had no opinion at all on the matter.
The thing I took away from the @Politico/@MorningConsult poll is not that a plurality thinks cancel culture has "gone too far," but that a large majority doesn't really care that much about it.— Andrew Solender (@AndrewSolender) July 22, 2020
Just 33% of voters expressed a strong opinion of it.https://t.co/SjzGne25em pic.twitter.com/l7D1f70sZl
The survey found 27% of people believe the trend has a "somewhat" or "very" positive effect on the country. Forty-nine percent said it has a "somewhat" or "very" negative impact on our culture.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details