Family, friends and the Christian community are mourning the loss of a Texas pastor and father to four children who was killed Saturday night in a traffic accident.
While driving down U.S. Highway 75 in Sherman, Texas, John Powell pulled over to assist individuals who had been involved in a crash, KXII News reports.
The 38-year-old pastor was struck by a passing semitruck and died at the scene of the accident.
Powell was regarded as a true servant of God who tragically lost his life while helping others. He was a church planter and pastor of Emmanuel Baptist Church in New Caney, Texas.
Tributes to the beloved pastor, who was known for his kindness were shared on social media.
Dr. Russell Moore from the Southern Baptist Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission wrote on Twitter that he was saddened by the loss of this great Christian leader.
"I am shocked and shaken and grieving this morning, beyond what I can say," Moore wrote. "My former student John Powell was killed last night, hit by an eighteen-wheeler while helping stranded motorists off of a highway."
Grieved and heartbroken beyond words. Please pray. pic.twitter.com/imBM0OmXue— Russell Moore (@drmoore) July 19, 2020
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Incredible Savings, Inspiration and Encouragement from CHARISMA:
- End Of The Year - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
- Big Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
- FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Women Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.