TobyMac's representatives confirmed Wednesday that Truett Foster McKeehan, TobyMac's son, died of an accidental overdose.
McKeehan overdosed on fentanyl and amphetamines on Oct. 23, 2019, in a Nashville home.
The 21-year-old was an aspiring rapper who released music under the names Truett Foster, truDog, TRU and Shiloh.
TobyMac recently released a song called "21 Years" in honor of his late son. In it, TobyMac wrestles with the pain of losing his son, whose death was unexpected.
"'21 years' is a song I wrote about the recent passing of my firstborn son, Truett Foster McKeehan," TobyMac says about this personal song. "I loved him with all my heart. Until something in life hits you this hard, you never know how you will handle it. I am thankful that I have been surrounded by love, starting with God's and extending to community near and far that have walked with us and carried us everyday. Writing this song felt like an honest confession of the questions, pain, anger, doubt, mercy and promise that describes the journey I'm probably only beginning. The rest is yet to come. One thing I know is that I am not alone. God didn't promise us a life of no pain or even tragic death, but He did promise He would never leave us or forsake us. And I'm holding dearly to that promise for my son as well as myself."
McKeehan's "heart was warm to the things of his King," TobyMac says.
Two months ago, TobyMac and his wife, Amanda Levy McKeehan, created the Truett Foster Foundation in honor of their son. The charity provides money for kids pursuing an education in music. According to the organization's website, 100% of donations will go toward funding scholarships so that vulnerable youth "may realize their God-given potential to change the lives of others."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details