A homeless woman broke into a Pentecostal church and, when confronted by the pastor, pulled a knife out and threatened him, according to reports.
Jennifer McCroby allegedly broke into Central Assembly of God in Plainfield, Connecticut, on Wednesday, say the Plainfield police.
When a pastor of the church entered the church after hours and saw McCroby, he asked her how she got in. She responded that she broke in, according to a press release. When McCroby allegedly pulled a large knife from her belt, the pastor backed away and called the police.
The only pastor listed on the church's website is Thomas Schwarz.
WINY Radio reported on Facebook that the pastor called the police just before 9 p.m., after which police tracked McCroby with a Connecticut State Police K-9. Police located the 45-year-old woman in a room in the back of the church. She was allegedly lying on the floor under a plastic tarp wrapped in a shower curtain.
Police arrested McCroby under several first-degree charges, including burglary, criminal trespassing and reckless endangerment. Authorities also found in her possession less than a half-ounce of marijuana.
The church posted on Facebook today, requesting prayer after last night's frightening incident. They say it happened "right after Bible study" and to "please pray for all involved." Several church members responded by expressing gratitude that no one was hurt.
McCroby, who is reportedly homeless, was not able to pay her bond and is scheduled to appear at the Danielson Superior Court today.
Some on Facebook expressed compassion toward McCroby and her situation. One woman named Candee Garcia wrote that although she didn't condone what McCroby did, "it was cold and windy out last night, [and] she was probably desperate for warmth and cover. I hope she gets the help she needs."
Robin Sean Goodwin wrote: "There was a terrible storm last night. She was probably looking for shelter. This is really sad. The pastor may have been inclined to help her had she not pulled a knife. She was probably worried that he wouldn't let her stay."
Jeremy Sendra even suggested that McCroby intended to be arrested so as to avoid the storm: "I mean when the state doesn't really offer help to homeless people, going to jail without hurting someone is the best alternative unfortunately. Roof, food, shower. Sad but it's about survival and she clearly from what it sounds had no other avenues."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details