A pastor's wife was charged with wanton endangerment on Aug. 22 after firing a gun in a church parking lot, according to the Register-Herald. The gunfight allegedly occurred in response to a heated argument with a youth pastor's wife.
Newsweek reports Melinda Frye Toney—wife of Earl Toney, pastor of New Life Apostolic Church in Oak Hill, West Virginia—accidentally fired the gun when her husband tried to grab the pistol. Several people were in the parking lot at the time, including children.
Toney's disagreement with Lori Haywood, wife of youth pastor David Haywood, stemmed from an argument over a shirt Haywood wore. When Lori Haywood wore the themed T-shirt on May 11, a "minor argument" ensued. Fayette Sheriff's Detective Kevin Willis says the shirt was "the straw that broke the camel's back."
"We were just trying to leave, peaceful," Lori Haywood says, according to the Washington Examiner. "The reason for the shooting was stupid and very unnecessary."
According to the Christian Post, Willis says that "at some point, the suspect leaves the church and goes outside and retrieves a firearm. So then, whenever she comes outside of the church, the husband is with her and realizes what she is doing and goes to grab her, and it goes off."
The evening Toney was charged, she posted on Facebook saying she was going to persevere despite the curve balls life kept throwing at her.
"Sometimes I wonder how I make it through life with all of curve balls that keep being thrown my way .... but I continue to hold on .... cause GOD said he wouldn't leave me and he would be there through the good and bad , and no matter what GOD has proven himself time and time again! Friends and Family may let you down , things don't go like they are planned and troubles may come our way but if we would put GOD 1st in ALL we do ...all of life and other things will fall into place. I refuse to be defeated. I am a overcomer through Christ!!!"
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details