Brian Bird, executive producer of television's popular series When Calls the Heart, knows the power of loyal fans. The half-million identified "Hearties" who follow, promote and praise the No. 1 Hallmark Channel series rose up in outrage at the end of season 5. That's when—only weeks after his marriage to Elizabeth (Erin Krakow)—popular Canadian Mountie Jack (Daniel Lissing) was killed.
"There's a whole bunch of 'Wanted' posters up about me," Bird says about the Hearties' outrage on a recent episode of "Greenelines" on the Charisma Podcast Network. Despite Jack's tragic demise, he said, nearly 5 million viewers tuned into the Christmas-night opener of season 6.
"What we have discovered is that there is a massively hungry audience out there that is underserved," says Bird, whose many credits in film, television and writing include serving as co-executive producer and senior writer for the final four seasons of the CBS series Touched by an Angel.
"When I was doing Touched by an Angel, there was much more family content on the networks. But in those 15 years or so since, the networks have all but forgotten about the family."
Download the podcast to learn the reasons behind Jack's sudden departure, Bird's views on family-friendly content and the plans for a potential spinoff from When Calls the Heart.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details