A Dallas-bound Southwest Airlines Co flight with 143 passengers and five crew members on board made an emergency landing on Tuesday at Philadelphia International Airport after suffering engine failure, according to the airline and media reports.
Live TV images showed that most of the outer casing around the left engine of the Boeing Co 737-700 had ripped away and a window near the engine on the plane's left side was missing.
One passenger was injured, local media reports said.
Southwest said the aircraft, flight 1380, was bound for Dallas Love Field in Texas from New York's LaGuardia airport before it diverted to Philadelphia. It did not immediately provide an explanation for the diversion.
"We are in the process of transporting customers and crew into the terminal," Southwest said in a statement.
A passenger on the flight described feeling the aircraft drop.
"All of a sudden, we heard this loud bang, rattling, it felt like one of the engines went out. The oxygen masks dropped," the passenger, Kristopher Johnson told CNN. "It just shredded the left-side engine completely ... it was scary."
Todd Baur, who identified himself as the father of a passenger from the plane, told Philadelphia's NBC-10 that a female passenger was injured when she was partially sucked into a window near the afflicted engine.
The aircraft's maker, Boeing, said on Twitter that it was aware of the incident and was "gathering more information."
The plane's engines are made by CFM International, a French-U.S. venture co-owned by Safran and General Electric, which was not immediately available for comment.
A spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration declined to comment.
© 2018 Thomson Reuters. All rights reserved.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details