Thomas More Society attorneys have achieved victory on behalf of pro-life sidewalk counselor David Schmidt. Schmidt, who volunteers with Kansas Coalition for Life, was acquitted of battery on July 25, 2017, by a Sedgwick County District Court jury.
The charges against Schmidt, who is 74 years old and largely blind, arose from a dispute over pro-life signage outside of Wichita's South Wind Women's Center. South Wind is well known for being the abortion facility previously run by notorious late-term abortionist George Tiller.
On the day in question, South Wind clinic security guard John Rayburn approached Schmidt's sign, which was on the ground near Schmidt in the public right of way and announced his intention to take it. Schmidt objected and physically resisted the guard's effort to remove the sign. Rayburn then had Schmidt charged with assault.
A judge ruled that the guard had no right to interfere with Schmidt's sign, and that Schmidt had the right to use reasonable physical force in defense of it. Subsequently, the Kansas jury found that Schmidt was reasonable in the amount of force he used.
Schmidt is one of many sidewalk counselors who volunteer their time to the Kansas Coalition for Life. A group of approximately 75 volunteers rotate throughout the week to provide a constant presence outside of South Wind's abortion center. They display coalition-owned signage as they pray and share life-affirming messages with the public. The volunteers' primary purpose is to inform and assist abortion-minded women who are entering the clinic.
Thomas More Society attorney Martin Cannon defended Schmidt against the battery charges arising from his pro-life witness outside of the South Wind abortion facility.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details