When Jesus told Peter he was the rock on which He would build His church, did he really say, "And the gates of hell shall not prevail against it" (Matt. 16:18)?
The common translation may be a mistranslation, biblical scholar Michael Heiser tells The Jim Bakker Show about Matthew 16:18.
"We all know that this is a big blow-up passage," Heiser says. "... I think 'upon this rock' is the place where they're standing. And I get that because of the Old Testament history of that place."
So what does Heiser think the passage actually means? Watch the video to see.
Jessilyn Justice @jessilynjustice is the director of online news for Charisma.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer