Striving to comply with federal nondiscrimination rules, Michigan's Catholic Church is extending health coverage to same-sex partners of employees without specifically saying so.
The Michigan Catholic Conference, which provides healthcare benefits for the Church's employees in the state, has extended coverage to include adults living in a church employee's household and who share living expenses, a spokesman said on Monday.
The coverage will include same-sex partners, though that term is not specifically mentioned in the new policy.
The decision to widen health coverage was to comply with federal government rules about nondiscrimination against same-sex partners, while at the same time avoiding language on same-sex partnerships, which go against Church teachings that marriage can only be between a man and a woman, said David Maluchnik, spokesman for the Conference.
The change in the plan was communicated to the Conference's 8,400 employees in a letter last week.
The new eligibility description does not make any reference to same-sex partners, but would have the effect of bringing them under coverage, Maluchnik said. An adult who lives in the same residence with the employee, who shares living expenses and is financially interdependent with the employee can qualify.
That could include relatives, adult children or others.
"We believe, with this modification of our health benefit plan, that it is legally sound and consistent with Catholic teaching," Maluchnik said.
"The plan pertains to residency, not relationships, so for an employee of the church who wants to add a legally domiciled adult, they must meet residency requirements that have nothing to do with relationship," he said.
He said other Catholic institutions around the United States that are responsible for healthcare coverage, such as archdioceses, are also looking at the issue.
© 2016 Thomson Reuters. All rights reserved.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer