The District of Nevada has officially dismissed the lawsuit brought against the Clark County School District (the "District") by Thomas More Society on behalf of student Angelique Clark after the parties reached a settlement agreement.
The settlement includes the official approval of Miss Clark's club, agreeing that her school will treat the club the same as all other non-curriculum related clubs, and also reflects the school board's revision of District policies on clubs to bring them in line with the law.
"We're pleased that District officials worked so diligently with us to protect the First Amendment rights of Angelique, her pro-life club, and all their students," said Jocelyn Floyd, Associate Counsel of Thomas More Society. "This settlement is a victory not only for Angelique and her pro-life club, but for all students who wish to speak out or form clubs to address issues that they're facing."
In mid-August, the Thomas More Society filed a lawsuit against West Career and Technical Academy (WCTA) and the District after WCTA student Angelique Clark's application to form a pro-life club was denied for reasons the Society claimed violated her free speech rights. A week later, counsel for the District reached out to discuss settlement, and the pro-life club was approved. The District's counsel worked with the Society and the school board through the fall to revise its policies on clubs, further ensuring that no student would face a situation like Angelique's in the future.
The Society and the District filed together to dismiss the case and the judge granted the dismissal last week.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details