Rasheed Abdul Aziz was reportedly on a mission to kill Christians.
On Sept. 15, Aziz walked into the Corinth Missionary Baptist Church in Bullard, Texas claiming he was sent by Allah to murder Christians and Jews who were opposed to Islam.
"Every hair on my neck just stood up," Pastor John D. Johnson told the Tyler Morning Telegraph. "It was almost like you could just like feel the presence of just negative energy."
Aziz was dressed in camouflage pants, tactical vest, boots and carried a gun when he entered the church that Sunday afternoon around 1 p.m.
"He said, 'People are going to die today,' that's what he said to me," Johnson told the Morning Telegraph.
Fortunately, the quick-thinking pastor was able to defuse the potentially dangerous situation.
"I never gave him the power of feeling that he was in control, that I was frightened," Johnson said.
Before becoming a pastor, Johnson served as a parole office and often dealt with mentally ill offenders. He said his instincts kicked in immediately.
"I just continued to engage, but I was very cautious not to raise my voice or make any quick moves," Johnson said.
Johnson told Aziz, a native of Jacksonville, Texas, to relax and have a seat and said he had to step away for a moment to check on some children who were in a nearby room.
Johnson used that brief moment to alert church members to get out of the church.
"It was as if we had trained, but we hadn't," Johnson said.
Suspicious of the pastor's actions, Aziz decided it was time to make his escape so he jumped into his car and fled the scene. He was later arrested by authorities for being a felon in possession of a firearm.
"I just think it's by the grace and mercy of God that we are not on the other side of history," Johnson said. "The other side of tragedy."
Before his arrest, Aziz apparently returned to the church hours after the intrusion and slipped a note under the church's door thanking the pastor for his kindness.
According to the television station KLTV, Aziz left the following letter for Johnson:
"My Name is Rasheed you helped me at a time of need This house is blessed by God & all Faiths muslim, Jew & the Christian shall all gather here in Peace & Justice for God as a whole For the betterment of mand kind as a whole I thank you. my title is special Ranger harbinger Aziz I be aronnd to Kneel & Pray with you."
Reports say Aziz was previously convicted for marijuana possession and aggravated robbery.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details