Televangelist Pat Robertson recently spoke out against President George W. Bush's war in Iraq and said it was to blame for the country's outbreak of violence.
Iraq is in the midst of severe violence as the radical terrorist group, the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, or ISIS, is taking territory and overwhelming national military units.
The Christian Broadcasting Network founder was asked on a Monday broadcast of The 700 Club about the current situation in Iraq.
"George Bush went into Iraq with approval from Congress, but with disapproval of most other countries. We broke it, now it is our responsibility to fix it. Is there hope? How does this fit into the plans of Almighty God?" the viewer asked during the show's "Bring It On" segment.
Robertson, a former Bush supporter, responded by calling it a "great mistake" to go to Iraq, pointing out that Saddam Hussein's "bomb maker" had said the then-dictator "doesn't know how to make an atomic bomb."
"And so to sell the American people on weapons of mass destruction, he had WMD and was getting [concentrated uranium] yellowcake out of Africa and all of that, it was a lot of nonsense," Robertson noted. "We were sold a bill of goods, we should never have gone into that country!"
He added: "As bad as Saddam Hussein was, he held those warring factions in check, and he contained those radical Islamists. Fix it, no? It's too late to fix it. It's unfixable. Those simmering animosities have been there for centuries."
Robertson supposed there would be conflict in Iraq until the end times brought about the Antichrist.
"They will continue to play out until such times that the Lord brings out of Babylon some evil Antichrist or something," he said.
The television preacher also compared Hussein's suppression of Islamic terrorist groups with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's government.
"The same thing with that wicked dictator over there in Syria. He was with the Ba'ath party over there, and he held down the Muslim Brotherhood," he added.
Watch the clip below.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details