The support among Americans for same-sex marriage continues to rise, with 55 percent supporting the law recognizing gay marriage, Gallup reports. It is the highest number in the history of the poll.
Two successive Gallup polls saw support rise from 53 percent to 54 percent, with 55 percent supporting same-sex marriage in the latest May 8-11 poll.
The numbers have steadily increased since Gallup first posed the question in 1996. Back then, 68 percent were opposed to recognizing gay marriage, with only 27 percent supporting it.
When Massachusetts became the first state to legalize marriage between homosexuals in 2004, support had reached 42 percent. Support topped 50 percent for the first time in 2011 and has remained above that level since then.
According to Gallup, the most dramatic difference in opinions tends to be between age groups.
"Currently, adults between the ages of 18 and 29 are nearly twice as likely to support marriage equality as adults aged of 65 and older," Gallup reports.
Differences are also seen among party lines, with 74 percent of Democrats supporting gay marriage compared to 30 percent of Republicans and 58 percent of independents. Republicans' support has nearly doubled since 1996.
Same-sex marriage is now legal in 19 states and the District of Columbia, and federal judges recently struck down laws banning gay marriage in Pennsylvania and Oregon.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details