Compared with nearly 70 percent a few decades ago, only 51 percent of Americans today are Protestant, or members of an evangelical, mainline or historically black church, according to a survey released by the Pew Forum this week.
As Protestantism approached minority status in the U.S., the extensive study revealed Catholicism, which accounts for 24 percent of the U.S. population, would’ve seen heavier losses if not for the mitigating factor of an influx of immigrant Catholics.
Immigration also disproportionately accounted for the presence of Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism in the U.S.The study showed that various religious groups simultaneously gained and lost members over the years, with Jehovah's Witnesses maintaining the worst retention rate.
More than 40 percent of the population reported no longer being affiliated with the religious or secular tradition of their childhood, demonstrating how fluid Americans’ belief systems have become.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Incredible Savings, Inspiration and Encouragement from CHARISMA:
- End Of The Year - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
- Big Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
- FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Women Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.