To tithe or not to tithe—that is the question author Russell Kelly wants churches to address. His answer is a categorical “no.”
“We believe that everything the church teaches about tithing is wrong,” Kelly says.
Through his Web site shouldthechurchteachtithing.com, he argues against the teaching of tithing, contending it was an Old Testament practice and that verses supporting it are often taken out of context by preachers CBS reports.
Kelly also believes it has been used as a tool of abuse.
“Almost every person I contact on the Internet, they tell me the same story, where they go to their pastor—no matter what kind of church it is, Baptist, charismatic, Methodist, you name it—and start asking questions about tithing, they are told to shut up, to be quiet, to leave the church,” he told CBS.
According to a recent CBS News report, tithing “is a hot button issue that has reached critical mass on the Internet.”
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Incredible Savings, Inspiration and Encouragement from CHARISMA:
- End Of The Year - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
- Big Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
- FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Women Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.