To tithe or not to tithe—that is the question author Russell Kelly wants churches to address. His answer is a categorical “no.”
“We believe that everything the church teaches about tithing is wrong,” Kelly says.
Through his Web site shouldthechurchteachtithing.com, he argues against the teaching of tithing, contending it was an Old Testament practice and that verses supporting it are often taken out of context by preachers CBS reports.
Kelly also believes it has been used as a tool of abuse.
“Almost every person I contact on the Internet, they tell me the same story, where they go to their pastor—no matter what kind of church it is, Baptist, charismatic, Methodist, you name it—and start asking questions about tithing, they are told to shut up, to be quiet, to leave the church,” he told CBS.
According to a recent CBS News report, tithing “is a hot button issue that has reached critical mass on the Internet.”
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details