Christian observers say Thursday’s decision by the California Supreme Court to overturn two state laws defining marriage as between one man and one woman may propel evangelicals to greater political activism.
During a Strang-sponsored teleconference Thursday night, Harry R. Jackson Jr., senior pastor of Maryland-based Hope Christian Church, told Charisma’s publisher, Stephen Strang, that the 4-3 decision went against Californians’ popular opinion and that the decision may “wake the sleeping giant of evangelical activism to reinsert itself in this election.”
“Until now, the litmus test issues of abortion and gay marriage have not been the mainstay of the faith community’s discussion,” Jackson said. “This ruling will change everything.”
The decision, which could go into effect next month, drew a firestorm of reactions from citizens and leaders across the nation.
Opponents of the decision want the court to stay the ruling until November when a proposed state constitutional amendment that garnered 1 million signatures and has already been submitted to election officials is expected to be on the ballot. If passed the amendment could reverse the Supreme Court’s decision and once again define marriage in California as only between a man and a woman.
Louis P. Sheldon, chairman of the Traditional Values Coalition, says the recent verdict only makes the need for a national constitutional amendment more urgent.
“This only sharpens into focus the need for a national, federal amendment to the U.S. Constitution to fully protect marriage between a man and a woman,” he said. “Forty-four states have constitutional or statutory prohibitions against same-sex marriage; therefore, a constitutional amendment at the federal level has a basis within these states.”
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details