A recent survey found that a majority of denominational pastors receive little or no health care assistance from their national organizations.
The poll, conducted by the National Association of Evangelicals (NAE), found that most pastors find alternative ways to gain health insurance coverage.
Many of the pastors who responded to the survey said they receive health insurance coverage from a part-time job, spouse’s insurance plan or by purchasing individual policies; others said they went without coverage.
“Thousands of pastors … are among the millions of Americans without health insurance,” NAE President Leith Anderson said in a statement.
Some denominations tried to provide centralized health coverage but were unable to sustain it due to rising costs, difficulty securing coverage in multiple states and an inability to balance insurance premiums for both young and old ministers, the study said.
“We have tried two or three times to provide health insurance, but we have not been able to make it work,” the head of one Pentecostal denomination told the NAE.
Although some organizations are able to provide centralized health insurance, Anderson believes the lack of coverage for the majority of clergy is a “growing problem.”
“So many churches are small, and too many pastors are uninsured,” he said. “As clergy age with the rest of America’s population we may see a growing list of pastors entering retirement with bankrupting medical bills.”
The NAE, based in Washington, D.C., represents millions of Christians from more than 60 denominations, including the Assemblies of God and the Church of God (Cleveland, Tenn.).
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details