The National Day of Prayer Task Force is calling the nation to “get back to the heart of prayer” during its 2008 National Day of Prayer Summit, which begins Friday.
In a video promotion, organizers say prayer is the key to curb declining morals and face the threat of terrorism, war and immorality. The weekend event, hosted at the World Prayer Center in Colorado Springs, Colo., is based on 1 Thessalonians 5:17, which encourages Christians to “pray without ceasing.”
The summit (ndptf.org) will kick off with a solemn assembly of repentance, which is being facilitated by Dick Eastman, president of Every Home for Christ. A concert of prayer at the Focus on the Family headquarters will follow, targeting the seven centers of power”—government, military, media, business, education, church and family.
Workshops on prayer also are being offered, but organizers say the event is meant to “lift the United States before the Lord at this critical juncture in history,” wrote task force chairwoman Shirley Dobson in a statement about the event.
“The welfare of our beloved land hangs in the balance, and it's imperative that believers unite in fervent and consistent prayer,” Dobson wrote. “We will also beseech God for His wisdom, guidance, and intervention as we look ahead to the November elections. And, we will seek the Lord's anointing upon our country's seven centers of power.
The summit comes just weeks after the Freedom From Religion Foundation filed a lawsuit in a Wisconsin federal court challenging the law that created the National Day of Prayer. The suit claims that national and state leaders’ calling citizens to pray violates church-state separation. President Bush, White House Press Secretary Dana Perino and Wisconsin Gov. Jim Doyle were named in the lawsuit. Although the National Day of Prayer Task Force is a nongovernmental organization, Dobson is also named in the lawsuit, which describes the task force as "a willful participant with state and federal officials in joint action that violates the Establishment Clause."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details