“This matter is now resolved and we are pleased to have it behind us,” said ORU interim president Ralph Fagin in a statement.
The professors—Tim Brooker and his wife, Paulita, along with John W. Swails, who settled in January and has now been reinstated—filed the lawsuit against former ORU President Richard L. Roberts, his wife, Lindsay, and some of the school’s administrators in October 2007.
Roberts was accused of mismanaging the school’s finances and using some of the money to fund his family’s lavish lifestyle. He resigned from his post in November 2007 though he denied the charges in the lawsuit.
The Tulsa World reported that the Brookers originally requested a $2.5 million settlement, which ORU initially rejected. The terms of the settlement accepted Wednesday in the court ordered mediation were not disclosed.
Richard Roberts said he supported the university’s decision, according to the newspaper. “The university decided to settle the lawsuit with the Brookers, and I support the university. I cannot comment any further at this time," Roberts said.
Despite the controversy that has surrounded ORU for the last year, school officials say the school has turned a new page with the start of the new school year.
“ORU is moving forward into a new era of fiscally focused, mission-minded, whole-person education,” said Mart Green, founder of the Christian supply-store chain Mardel, who pledged $70 million to help the debt-ridden school “restore its broken trust.”
A fundraising campaign raised $5.8 million from more than 6,000 donors. Numerous buildings have gotten new carpeting, wiring, paint and furniture in the last year.
The Prayer Tower, ORU’s landmark building, was to have undergone significant repairs before opening during the fall semester with a new Student Prayer Initiative. Funds will also be used to upgrade academic programs.
“Our best asset is our students,” Green said.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details