Nearly three years after becoming host of his father’s Hour of Power TV program, Robert A. Schuller was taken off the air this past weekend.
“It is no secret to any of you that my son, Robert, and I have been struggling as we each have different ideas as to the direction and the vision for this ministry as we move into the future,” said Robert H. Schuller, founder of Crystal Cathedral Ministries, in a statement posted on the ministry’s Web site. “For this lack of shared vision and the jeopardy in which this is placing this entire ministry, it has become necessary for Robert and me to part ways.”
Robert A. Schuller has served as senior pastor of Crystal Cathedral, a stunning all-glass architectural masterpiece built in 1980, since 2006, when his 82-year-old father also appointed him host of Hour of Power.
The elder Schuller announced plans for the TV program, which began airing in 1970, to extend its pulpit to “the greatest preachers in the world.” He said some of those preachers would be former students of his Institute for Successful Church Leadership, such as megachurch pastors Bill Hybels and Kirbyjon Caldwell. “No longer will the Hour of Power be the voice and face of just one or two individuals,” Schuller said.
Though the 54-year-old son of one of America’s most well known televangelists did not comment publicly regarding his father’s announcement over the weekend, the California Classis of the Reformed Church in America, of which both men are affiliated, released a statement acknowledging the split.
“Persistent and very real differences in vision for the ministries between these two leaders has led to an apparent need for Classis’ help in furthering ministry objectives,” stated the denomination.
“Our goal here is to first seek what is best for the overall ministries … our next goal is to see both Robert A. and Robert H. given any assistance they may need to continue to be passionate about their individual visions and remain harmonious in their relationships, not just as father and son, but also as co-laborers in the Gospel of Jesus Christ.”
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details