After settling this week with New Jersey's Civil Rights Division, online dating service eHarmony will be required to create a new Web site catering to same-sex singles, reported the Associated Press (AP).
The settlement came three years after a New Jersey resident, Eric McKinley, 46, filed a complaint for not being given an option by the dating service for men seeking men.
McKinley called the 3-year-old incident in which he couldn’t find a match at the online dating service “frustrating,” “very humiliating” and “very hurtful,” according to the AP.
Neither the company nor its founder, Neil Clark Warren—who successfully marketed eHarmony to the Christian community in earlier years, including on James Dobson’s Focus on the Family—acknowledged any liability in the case.
Theodore B. Olson, an attorney for the Pasadena, Calif.-based eHarmony, said even though the company believed McKinley's complaint was “an unfair characterization of our business,” the company settled because of the unpredictable nature of litigation.
“EHarmony looks forward to moving beyond this legal dispute, which has been a burden for the company, and continuing to advance its business model of serving individuals by helping them find successful, long-term relationships,” Olson told the AP.
The case in New Jersey marked the first time that eHarmony loses a high-profile case based on similar discrimination complaints.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer