A new project of Focus on the Family (FOTF) seems to be convincing Christians in Colorado to adopt a foster child.
Hosted on Saturday by New Life Church in Colorado Springs, Colo., “Wait No More” (icareaboutorphans.org) launched its campaign to find homes for every foster child currently living in the state’s system. “It was beyond what we could ever ask or think,” said Kelly Rosati, senior director of the Sanctity of Human Life, a pro-life division of Focus on the Family. “God just blew us away.”
Of 1,200 registrants and hundreds of walk-ins, Rosati told Charisma nearly 250 initiated the adoption process on Saturday morning.
“The absolute historic nature of this event … we have not faced a single obstacle with [state and local governments],” she said. “We have kept our eye on the ball—working together for the sake of these kids.”
Christians were urged to adopt at least one child from Colorado’s foster care system, which Rosati said has a current pool of more than 700 children. She estimated the average age of a foster child at 8 years.
In explaining the process of adoption, representatives from adoption groups and child welfare agencies also told prospective parents the truth about its hardships. “It was not only inspirational … we gave them the stark reality of what some of the challenges are of the kids’ behaviors,” said Rosati, who has four adopted children herself.
Brady Boyd, senor pastor of New Life Church, told Charisma an overwhelming response came ahead of the event. “I am discovering that the church is ready to rally around ministries that are really helping the poor, the widows and the orphans,” he said. “We are very excited that children will soon find homes in loving, caring, church communities around our state.”
Rosati noted that many churches from eight surrounding counties, all of them on the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains, participated in Saturday’s launch.
She said St. Louis, Mo., would likely be the next stop for the “Wait No More” campaign, but that the group’s long-term goal was to raise awareness nationwide, in order to end the “systemic practice” of kids “aging out” of the foster care system.
“There are 26,000 who age out each year. … There’s just no reason for that,” said Rosati, adding that many of them experience homelessness, unemployment, public assistance and even prison. “We have 300,000 churches in America. We can end this.”
Boyd agreed, and sees the plight of the nation’s orphans as a great opportunity for Christians. “In an hour that the local church is often maligned, this is a positive testimony to people really caring for the orphans,” he said.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer