American Family Association (AFA) founder Don Wildmon is in critical condition at a Tupelo, Miss., hospital, where he is being treated for meningitis.
AFA spokeswoman Cindy Roberts said the 71-year-old was taken to the hospital Friday afternoon and diagnosed with the disease over the weekend. On Tuesday, she said he remained in intensive care but was making small improvements.
"We are taking it day by day," AFA President Tim Wildmon said in a statement to supporters. "We thank all those who have let us know they are praying for Dad, our family and the AFA/[American Family Radio] family. Dad has served the Lord for many years and he is in His hands."
Meningitis is an inflammation of the membranes that cover the brain and spinal cord. According to the Centers for Disease Control, it is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection.
Wildmon, a former Methodist pastor, founded the AFA in 1977. Known for its opposition to abortion, gay marriage, media indecency and other family-related issues, the organization claims more than 2 million online supporters and operates nearly 200 radio stations nationwide under American Family Radio.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Incredible Savings, Inspiration and Encouragement from CHARISMA:
- End Of The Year - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
- Big Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
- FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Women Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.