A federal appeals court has ruled a defamation lawsuit California pastor Frederick K.C. Price filed against ABC and its former 20/20 correspondent John Stossel can move forward.
Price, founding pastor of Crenshaw Christian Center in Los Angeles, claims his words were taken out of context in a 2007 20/20 report about businessmen, pastors and politicians who seem to live extravagant lifestyles.
In Stossel's "Enough" segment, 20/20 showed Price, who is well-known for his teaching on financial prosperity, telling a crowd: "I live in a 25-room mansion. I have my own $6 million yacht. I have my own private jet, and I have my own helicopter, and I have seven luxury automobiles."
It was not clear in the clip, however, that Price was preaching about a hypothetical person who was unfulfilled despite his wealth. ABC ultimately ran a correction. Stossel now works for Fox Business Network.
In its decision Tuesday, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals said the context in which Price's words were presented materially changed their meaning.
"Because Price has a reasonable possibility of proving that the Clip, as broadcast, was false, and because Defendants relied exclusively on the issue of non-falsity in their motion to dismiss ... we must reverse the dismissal of the express defamation claim and remand," the court ruled.
Price's attorney, Anthony Glassman, said ABC must now produce editor notes and footage to determine whether the network intended to air false statements, Reuters news service reported.
"It's been a long, hard struggle and we look forward to trying this case against Mr. Stossel and ABC News," Glassman said.
An ABC spokesman said the network is confident it will prevail, noting that the court did not comment on whether Price could satisfy other conditions of a defamation lawsuit.
The case will now return to the lower court.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details