President Barack Obama has issued a presidential proclamation for Father's Day on Sunday. The president begins his proclamation by declaring that parenthood is the ultimate gift and an incredible responsibility.
"Every day, fathers across our country give everything they have to build a better future for their family, asking nothing in return but their children's love and success," Obama wrote. "On Father's Day, we honor the men in our lives who have helped shape us for the good, and we recommit to supporting fatherhood in our families, in our communities, and across our nation."
In a June 8 People magazine article, Obama wrote an essay about his efforts to be a good dad after growing up largely without his father.
"Even though my sister and I were lucky enough to be raised by a wonderful mother and caring grandparents, I always felt his absence and wondered what it would have been like if he had been a greater presence in my life. I still do," he wrote in People. "It is perhaps for this reason that fatherhood is so important to me, and why I've tried so hard to be there for my own children."
In his proclamation, Obama points out that a father figure may be a biological father, or he may be a surrogate father who raises, mentors, or cares for another's child. Every family is different, he writes, but what matters is the unconditional support, guidance and love fathers and mentors give us throughout life.
Obama also highlighted a disturbing trend in the United States: Too many children grow up without the support and guidance of a father figure. A father's absence is felt by children, families and communities in countless ways, leaving a hole that can have lasting effects, he wrote.
"On Father's Day, we celebrate the men who make a difference in the life of a child, and we pay tribute to all the fathers who have been our guiding lights," Obama wrote. "In the days ahead, we recommit ourselves to making fatherhood, and the support men need to be fathers, a priority in our nation."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details